Wednesday, June 25, 2008

In The Navy (On the Boat), Part 27

The Boat was clean as a whistle as we headed into Groton. It was clear and sunny that day and we tied up around noon. All of the families were there waiting at the end of the pier.

It was nice to be done with this run and be able to get off the Boat on American soil, home. I should note that while we were tracking the Diesel, we spent a total of 72 days in a row submerged. It was not that big of a deal because we were at least kept busy, but it was an eye opener when I heard that. It was a long time, but SSBN (Boomers) spend a longer time under, by design. People’s jaws drop when I tell them about the 72 days.

Dyke went away to some “special” school that he couldn’t tell anyone about. I assume it was training for the few on board who could scuttle the Boat if we were in a situation of possibly being captured. This also included assassinating a fair number of the crew, those that carry national secrets.

I assumed I was on that list, because of what I knew about the weapons and had a Top Secret clearance. And it was strange when Dyke came back, he wasn’t the same. He didn’t talk to anyone much and I hardly spent time with him for a while after his return. I am guessing at his training though, he never fessed up to anything. We got back to normal after some months and I was fine with thinking Dyke would cap my ass if the shit hit the fan. It’s just a job.

The Boat later made a trip to Portsmouth England later (we were out on another “training mission”), which was interesting. It was beautiful weather when we went, late summer and the place was crowded with tourists and locals.

On our way into the port, we had a feeling we were being tailed and apparently we were. The morning after we arrived, there was a story in the local paper that the “Yank Sub snags Trawler”. Which had not happened. We were on the surface and were not capable of snagging an underwater trawler net. I had to have been a Russian Boat trailing us that did it. We had fun in port, but a tourist town is only so much fun. Lots of arcades and warm beer, hookers for a few.

Out of the blue one day back in home port, we were told we were doing a Liberty Run to Halifax, Nova Scotia. We packed up the next day and left a lot of people behind, we were down to bare bones as far as crew went. Dyke and I were on “Port and Starboard” duty, which meant ½ the time on watch ½ off. It was a short run up to Halifax and we had plenty of shore time to explore the city. It was a good time of year to be there, early fall.

The city was bustling and very bright. The nights were cool and the air was crisp and clean. The clubs we went to were huge and had lots of patrons, kids and a few older folks. By kids, I mean they let 16 year olds and above in. I don’t know what the drinking age was, but these kids were drunk before long. I walked one girl home fairly early and found out she was 16 about ½ the way there. I couldn’t wait to get back, gather up the others and head to another venue. It was a very pretty city, nice to visit. I will go back some time.

We later did a stint in Dry Dock, which means you drive the boat into a floating U shaped chunk of metal. Here’s a pic of the USS Helena pulling into (maybe out of) one;
http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/060110-N-3532C-044.jpg
These “floating Dry Docks are actually about six stories tall, but sink themselves to let a Boat or ship drive in/out, then pump out the water to lift the vessel up. We managed to smash an external staircase near the entrance of the Dry Dock (see pic below) and screw up our sonar dome in the process. It was a good thing we were going into Dry Dock!

Here’s a pic of the Dry Dock after they pump out their ballast and lift up a Boat (that’s the Miami in there). http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/images/ardm-4-DNST9501381.JPG That is the same Dry Dock we were in, and I hated it. I hated the height over the deck when you walked across the Brow to the Boat. I hated climbing all the stairs to get to the top desk to get on board too. The Dry Dock personnel seemed to enjoy holding us at the entrance while they checked a crew list before they would even let us on board the floating fork lift. It just sucked all around and the only benefit I can think of is an easier topside watch duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..