Friday, July 24, 2009

I Am Not Black


Really, I am not, but I grew up in Detroit in the late 60's and was in one of the first city schools to be desegregated. My best friend in that school (not outside of it, because of bussing) was black.

I want to lay out a little of my perspective on the root cause of what blacks in America face (I see these every day). I will work from the end back to the beginning...

* The percentage of blacks in prison is higher than any other race. Fact.
* The percentage of black High School dropouts is higher than any other race. Fact, and results in more blacks in prison, because they can't get a job and turn to crime.
* The percentage of black single parent homes (no father)is higher than any other race. Fact, and results in less discipline, more High School dropouts and more blacks in jail.

Result: This is a cyclical problem, because until there are less blacks in jail, there can't be more getting jobs. There can't be more getting jobs, unless more get educated. More will not be educated until more are disciplined within a functional family.

This applies to every race on the globe.

Like Obama said, we all have to start at the bottom, the root; and fix our families "pull ourselves up". Everything will get better from there, but it will take about 25 years. That quote sealed my vote for him, that and the comments about parents taking more interest in their children. It's where it all starts, and Obama gets that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..