Sunday, January 2, 2011

Boblo Island Amusement Park

The Boblo Island Amusement Park opened in 1898 and operated till 1993 (95 years).  Click all the pics to enlarge them.

We would go there many summers, just one time a year.  There were 3 boats that could get you there, one a small ferry from the Canadian side of the Detroit River in Amherstburg.  We mostly took the longer boat rides from near Detroit, south to the Island.  These were the big boats, one is pictured above.  I loved the ride, the smell of the water, the noise of the engines.

They had plenty of "characters", but these guys hung around near the park entrance.  I don't recall seeing them, besides coming and going.


They had the first real roller coaster I had ever seen.  I didn't have the balls to ride it at first. Once I did, I was hooked on coasters..

The Log Flume (?) was no problem for me.  If us kids weren't on it, we were usually lurking around the path near the bottom of the big hill, just so we could get soaked.  Kids love getting wet when it's not appropriate.  I was fascinated at the mechanics of the ride.  I probably spent more time figuring out how it all worked, than actually paying attention to the ride.

 I really liked the old fashioned car ride.  It was on a track, like slot cars, so the kids car "steer".  That's not my family pictured.  I couldn't find any pics of the sky trolly cars, but they were fun too.

Some old school pics below, besides the first one, way before my time..


I do remember the Safari Train, but I think it was eliminated in the early 1070s.

Today, the Park is almost gone, and they sold the island to a property developer.  There are mostly big assed houses all over, a few smaller ones.  Most of the islands in the Detroit River have been annexed by the social elite.  A great way to separate themselves from the common folk.  The few landmarks remaining from the park, sit and rust:


This was the welcome entryway, from where the boats tied up.  Where the creepy "characters" would greet people after getting off the boat. There was a great echo in here, from the screaming kids, itching to get off the boat and into the Park.
 
 The spire, you can see it here and in the very first pic, on the right.  I doubt it goes up or down anymore.


 The Pavillion still stands today. Beautiful stone work and hard wood floors.  It doubled as a roller rink and a hall for the occasional band.  The brown boards you see above didn't exist back then, it was open-air. 
 
And finally, the Boats.  They actually get a second chance:
http://www.freep.com/article/20101228/NEWS06/12280351/1318/Decrepit-Boblo-boat-to-get-a-new-life-new-mission