Saturday, April 4, 2009

Burning Airlines

Give you so much more...



Brian Eno from Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy.

At the tail end of the 70's I was listening to some radio station in Detroit that played music that you would never hear on a commercial radio station and I heard Brian Eno for the first time. It was like none of the Disco and commercial music I had grown up with. This broke so many musical rules, that I was drawn to it like a moth to a lamp. The off key harmonies are cute, because it feels innocent. Like listening you a child in a 2nd grade play. I nearly wore out the Cassette tape of Tiger Mountain that I had purchased at twice the price of regular albums. I guess I felt compelled to listen to it twice as much.

The use of percussion, out of tune violin, horns, organs and insane guitar still stuns me, even now, 35 years later.