Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I almost died today

The Setup;

Most Tuesdays I have to drive to a location, maybe 4 miles away from my work, for meetings. It's not something I ever complain about, I like meeting with my customers.

Last night I left the windows in my car cracked open, to ventilate the stink from taking my Dog to the Vet.

The Event;

Around 9AM, I head out to my regularly scheduled meetings(s) and it's a real nice day, though my allergies are being hammered by the tree pollen. All in all, things are fine.

About 5 minutes from work, while in traffic, a rather large black fuzzy spider catches my eye as I pull up to a stop light. It was on the lower inside of the windsheild, all the way on the passengers side of the car. No problem, I thought. I will kill it when I get to my destination.

The light turns green and I am off. As I drive, the nasty spider has almost my full attention. How I haven't crashed yet is beyond me, maybe devine intervention. The little ugly black fuzzy bastard is maiking it's way quickly across the windshield toward the driver's side of the car. It passes right in front of my field of vision, I didn't even have to turn my head.

Still no crash, I am amazed. The little bugger heads up the windshield, now just inches from my face, right above and in front of my head, in the crease of the windshield and frame. I grabbed my notebook off the passenger seat and slammed it up into the crease and the spider seemed to dissapear. Nothing smooshed on the book or window. I had a small reprieve, no spider to be seen. So I drove on. I should have pulled over really.

Then, that little bastard reappeared just inches from where I thought I had smashed him, crawling up again and now almost directly over my head. I snagged the opportunity, with the bug out in the open and on a fairly flat surface, to grab the book again, and wail on it. the streak of black on the cover of my notebook told me that it was over.

It took a few seconds to locate the carcas of this beast, nestled in the crack at my window. I fully lowered the window and blew hard (have I mentioned I am driving during all of this??) and the dead body went over the edge and out of the car.

I made it to my meetings unscathed and unbitten, but a bit frazzled. I don't like spiders, except when I kill them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..