Friday, October 12, 2007

The Best Bad Movie

Back when I was 14 or 15 years old, this movie was on TV almost weekly, on the Saturday late night horror show. I must have seen it dozens of times and I am sure others in the mid-west did too.

1971's Psychomania distinguishes itself from other bad B movies by simply being the worst, which I love. I love cheesy bad movies, because they make me laugh. Most of these types of movies died out in the 1960's, but a few poor movie makers continued to churn them out well into the late 1970's, then they pretty much died.

An excellent review/synopsis was written by Monster Hunter (thank you!)http://monsterhunter.coldfusionvideo.com/Psychomania.html

What he fails to point out in the review are the basics of bad movies. Repeated footage, bad direction, bad sound, piss poor acting, writing, music, lighting, sets and overall production. It's excellent!! I laughed my ass off like I did back in 1977. I laugh at it, not with it. Oh, I have to mention that almost all physical action (fight scenes) are implied by olny seeing the aftermath of destruction/bodies (no blood) strewn about. Maybe I have only seen the PG rated version? Oh, I just looked at the DVD case and it's "NOT RATED". Probably for the best.

Did I mention it stars an Oscar winner? Read the review linked to above for more on that.

You can pick up this masterpiece of terrible film making for yourself on Amazon for a mere $6. What a bargain!
http://www.amazon.com/Psychomania-Nicky-Henson/dp/B000B7QCUO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2150129-7777652?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1192239620&sr=8-1

I have to say I am a bit pissed that I can get THIS MOVIE on DVD, but not The Monolith Monsters! http://www.strangehorizons.com/2001/20010326/forgotten_classics.shtml I am watching and waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..