Thursday, May 1, 2008

In The Navy (FT “C” School), Part 7

So the hole in my right side is about 5” long and a tube is sticking out near the middle of it. The tube is for drainage, smells nasty too. The stainless steel staples that held my side together were becoming, I thought, of the monstrosity that “was” this whole ordeal. The worst was over though.

I was soon able to walk (more a hobble) on my own in the Hospital, still strapped to my IV and in my “gown”. If I walked down to the communal TV lounge, I never knew if anyone could see my ass crack if the dumb gown was not fully closed. It’s a risk I took to just get out of the room.

I was released into a brisk, cold, sunny day and I remember the sun hurt my eyes at first. It felt good to get out of the Hospital though. I was taken via wheel chair to Dyke’s waiting car (it may not have been his, but he was there). We went back to the barracks and I had to walk up the stairs to the room. I went about 4 steps up and almost dropped right there.

I had not counted on the muscle loss due to being bed ridden. I had to be helped up the stairs, not carried. My body felt twice the weight it really was, to me. In fact I had lost over 30 pounds during this whole thing and my clothes hung on me like a clown suit does. At least my shoes still fit, but were a bit loose. I had to tie me belt tight and fold the pants at the hip to even keep them on me.

I spent a day or two in the barracks walking as much as I could and purposely trying myself on the stairs. I was able to eat real food now, not a lot of it though. Once I felt I was ready, I decided I would take the remainder of the 3 weeks convalescent leave I had been granted and head back to Detroit.

Because I am not following a strict timeline, I have to let you know I had purchased a car during an earlier visit home and had driven it back to Connecticut. It was a Grand Fury III, 1976, if I remember right. It was all white and had served some police officer well. It was an ex-Michigan State Trooper Interceptor. What could possibly go wrong?

I packed up some clothes and changed into some fresh bandages. The tube in my side was weeping “fluid” always. I plopped into my beast of a car (don’t ask what the EPA mileage rating was) and headed off north west towards Hartford. From there, it’s due north to Springfield Massachusetts. A jog to the left and I am headed off north west again, towards Albany. I made good time until I got through Albany.

Once I hit Albany central, I hit a major “Lake Effect Snow”. This is snow caused from winds moving south out of Canada, across the Great Lakes and picking up moisture on the way. On the other side, it snows. Pretty simple concept, but suck-ass conditions for driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..