Wednesday, April 16, 2008

In The Navy (FT “A” School), Part 6

Right at the end of “A” School, before Joey left, I did have an occasion to go up to his family’s place in Buffalo New York. They were seriously Italian and the food was excellent and plentiful. They were always plowing something into your face, whether it was meal time or not. His entire family was great. Very friendly people and I felt more like Joey’s brother than a friend. We only stayed for a long weekend, but it was great.

Joey took me out to a huge club where he used to DJ. It was bitterly cold and snowing mildly when we headed out. He (of course) knew everyone there and I was a little left out to dry, but he had not been home in a while. I wandered around this club and was amazed at the size of the place. Giant speakers were littered around every wall and there was a large stage. It was similar to a gymnasium in size, but a big one.

The music was great too, so I listened and kept walking around. I wandered into an area I should not be in, near the stage and a couple bouncers came over and “collected” me. I told them I was with Joey and they took me to him in the DJ booth and he OK’d my presence. It was like he had the run of the place. He was spinning tunes and talking up the records. It was fun to watch him work the crowd and hear his voice banging out over the speakers.

After we left that club (around midnight, maybe later), we went to a restaurant where everyone knew him too and had a late dinner. It was real good food too! Joey flirted with the waitress and it reminded him of a story he had not told me before. Apparently he had a real hot girlfriend when he was in college. He was at some big wig function with her and one of Dick Van Patten’s sons (Vince) was there. So this guy starts hitting on Joey’s girl…hard, which Joey didn’t appreciate. I guess he made some dick head move and Joey just decked the guy. That’s a feather in his cap in my book.

At the end of A School, Joey disappeared, heading off to the SSBN (Boomer) Submarine world while Dyke and I stayed in the SSN (Attack Boat) side. I think Joey went off to Washington State to finish the rest of his training.

FT “C” School is next and it’s a bit like going from Middle School to High School, you look down on the guys in Sub or A School. There is no B School, ecause the Navy just can’t spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..