Wednesday, April 2, 2008

In The Navy (Sub School), Part 3

I was called over to the main desk in the empty barracks one day and told to report to Building (whatever). I packed up and headed off; it was a short walk to the new barracks. I was given a room key and a schedule. I was to start school the following Monday. I guess someone somewhere knew I was sitting in that desolate barracks alone.

Sub School lasted six weeks. In the beginning, you filled out a lot of forms and listened to lectures about Naval Submarine history. I think the lectures were meant to impress us with the importance of the job and the great history that had happened before. We were actually tested on some of these lectures, so you had to pay attention.

Soon, the large big class was broken into two smaller classes, maybe 25 men each. Oh, did I forget to mention that there were no women on US Subs? As far as I know, that has not changed to this today. It was then late in the summer of 1981 when the Navy decided to pop the question; would you push THE BUTTON!? We all had this form to complete and we had to answer the question of whether we would shoot a Nuke if ordered to do so. I assume if you answered No, you would be removed. I pondered the question briefly, since we were given no warning it was coming. Would I??

I answered yes. Under the right circumstances, I certainly would. I understood the concept of mutual self destruction very well and have always hoped it would never come to an all out nuclear war. So far my own country is the only one to have actually used a nuke on people, something I still battle with my self-conscience about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..