Monday, November 26, 2007

Did I Mention I Hate Christmas?

Ok, "hate" is a bit strong of a word. I don't hate the concept of Christmas, worshiping or family time. It's the gift giving that drives me nuts. People are just fanatical about it here in the US.

They cry when they can't get a certain toy for their kid, literally cry. Let the kids cry and go find something else to give them. Boo Hoo, no more Hanna Montana Sing Along's in stock...whimper whimper, sob sob.

Your kids will survive and in another year, won't even remember Hanna, because they will be hooked on crack.

Get your kids something they have to use outside. Something they have to build or put together. Buy them some CD from old, that they have never heard of and let them try something new.

The best present I ever got as a kid was some kind of air gun thingy that would suspend a Ping Pong ball in mid air. None of my friends had or wanted one, so I felt god damn special, because I did. I don't think I asked for it, but that was 38 years ago. It was fascinating; I loved that toy for years.

Don't buy your kids what they want, surprise them with something you love.

P.S. Only one family in my neighborhood went crazy with the decorations so far this year, so when they get deported, all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..