Thursday, November 1, 2007

My Halloween

I usually do a pretty good setup for Halloween in front of my tiny little Row House. I always have some kids who won't even approach the house. The wind picked up early, but died down after a while, so the Fog machine was not in use the whole time.
(Click to enlarge images)


This is Harold. I made him by hand with sewing help from my oldest son. That was about 7 years ago, maybe a few more. It's so dark, you can't see the detail in the face or hands that I carved out of foam rubber. Harold is about 7 feet tall overall, and suspended on black string. I usually have him on a long string than will allow him to swing down and stop just short of the kids that are trick or treating. This year, I tried something different and had him suspended as shown, but with a flip of the finger, Harold would lurch forward a few feet quickly, like he was attacking. It was a perfect effect. I terrorized anyone who acted cocky and all the older kids. I try to not make kids cry, but it has happened, which always makes me feel bad. ; )

It is a blast and I can't really demonstrate the black light effect and the spooky music I play too. I guess you would have to visit on October 31st and see it for yourself. Most of the other decorations are obscured in the pics. A real sword stuck in the ground, very realistic fake tomb stones, the rubber snake, strobe light and more.

Fun fun.

My favorite was a little girl that stomped up to the porch and confidently proclaimed "I remember you"... I let Harold do his thing and the little cutie ran like a gazelle, a solitary scream trailed off as she ran. Several neighbors even stuck their heads out of their houses to see what was going on. That's Halloween success. Three different kids stopped to pose for pictures too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note..